1. After your manicure, keep your nails under that dryer-thingy until your nails are FULLY DRY. Recommended time: 6 hours.
2. Use that clear bottle of whatever-that-stuff-is that the salon leaves on the counter for you.
3. Also use that canned spray stuff they leave out, too. Just carelessly spray a ton of it all over your nails/fingers.
4. When walking out of the nail salon, use your foot or entire body to open the door. Do not under any circumstance use your hands.
5. Same goes for driving. This is hard, but you’re going to have to figure out how to open your car door without using your hands. Time to get creative here. Also: putting on your seat belt? Ooof. Good luck with that.
6. While driving, turn the heat on in your car FULL BLAST (even if it’s 90 degrees outside) and aim the vents at your fingernails.
7. When you get home, do not touch anything for several hours. In fact, don’t DO anything… period.
8. You may want to avoid the following activities to keep your manicure from chipping: showering, opening cans, trying to peel stickers or plastic wrap off of things, cleaning your home, typing, texting, eating, drinking, scratching an itch, etc. Actually, just avoid all activities altogether indefinitely.
9. Keep a bottle of the nail polish you’re wearing handy so you can attempt to ‘fix’ any chips and do such a horrible job that your nails end up looking worse somehow.
10. WEAR GLOVES ALL DAY EVERY DAY.
This is why I don’t have a beauty blog.
Editor’s Note: If, on the odd chance, you actually do need to use your hands sometime within the week after your manicure, I’ve scoured the Internet for some REAL tips to help you extend the life of your manicure and keep your hands looking lovely…
First off, the healthier your nails, the better they’ll look with or without nail polish. Here are some basic tips on improving the health of your nails.
Are your nails discolored, brittle, or grooved? Check out these 7 things your nails can tell you about your health.
Here’s the secret to a perfect manicure…actually 5 secrets! (I didn’t know #3! Yikes!)
If you prefer to do your own nails, some of these 27 DIY nail hacks are pretty interesting.
And lastly, here are 7 helpful tips to prevent nail polish from chipping (I have friends who swear by #7.)
For more beauty tips, hacks, and humor, join us on our Beauty In the Powder Room Pinterest board!
This piece by Allison Arnone was originally published on her blog and is reprinted with permission In the Powder Room, a division of Hold My Purse Productions, LLC. Featured image © depositphotos.com/valuavitaly.